Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The blog police are coming to get me

Pledging to write every day is tremendous. Structure, discipline, the repetition of writing, writing, writing -- these are really the only things that help you to improve your writing. The idea is awesome. You know what else is awesome? Sleeping. Sleeping is awesome, because you're horizontal and warm. You also have dreams. The dream is what made me suddenly jolt awake and realize that I had slept through my pledge to blog every day for NaBlowhateverit'scalledyoupeoplearelunaticshowcananybodysustainthis. There was a white ping-pong ball on the floor that I had to move, because -- for some very complicated reasons -- if I didn't move it, a door was going to slam and I was going to wake up. I woke up anyway, and realized that the ping pong ball was really my subconscious's symbol for my bladder. (It was nice for my subconscious to finally give me something relatively easy to decode. If anyone can solve the mystery of the giant green-gray, glossy sea creature that looked like a cross between a whale and a dinosaur and was so massive and had such an intense gravitational force that, if it wasn't for the giant sheet of Plexiglas I was watching it through, I would have been sucked into the scary, roiling, dark waters of a harbor that looked kind of like Sydney Harbour but wasn't, I'd be really grateful.) It was when I was returning to bed from the bathroom and saw that it was 4:37 that I realized I had failed in my pledge. Does it help that it was a mere four hours and thirty-seven minutes after the deadline that I at least thought about it? Is there a blog altar that I can perform some kind of  penance at?


(Picture: By Charles R. Knight (Making of America) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons)

1 comment:

  1. This made me laugh. I have participated in NaBloPoMo for many years and now I write on my blog 6 days a week pretty consistently so adding,Sunday is pretty easy but in the beginning, it was so hard. Of course, I went back and read a bunch of your posts and just loved them.
    P.S.If you were to happen to go looking for me, I write at Lucy's Reality,my Wordpress Blog, not my Blogger Blog (that is just a photo blog)
    P.S.S. You have some wild dreams :)

    ReplyDelete